Index to holdings from Abe Peck and Jean Marcus Peck Book Collection

  • Beth Israel (Bath) Exterior image I , n.d. "The Conservative synagogue, Beth Israel in Bath, was founded in 1922"
  • Bowdoin Jewish Organization letter to Bowdoin Faculty , n.d. "Despite Bowdoin College's greater sensitivity to the needs of its Jewish students, the members of the Bowdoin Jewish Organization felt compelled to write this letter when Bowdoin professors continued to give exams on the Jewish High Holidays. The letter
  • Building Ads in Biddeford for Sam's Place and Day's Jewelry Store , n.d. "Sam's Place, a hardware store in Biddeford, was owned by Sam Osher. Day's Jewelry Store, owned by the Davidson brothers, is advertised just below the Sam's Place advertisement"
  • Camp Modin girls , n.d. "The Camp Modin girls, in an updated picture, came from all over the country for the fresh air."
  • Camp Naomi group photo , n.d. "Camp Naomi for Girls was located in Raymond; its brother camp, Camp Joseph, was on a nearby lake in Harrison. Both camps were operated by the Jewish Welfare Board of Boston. Camp Naomi closed in 1985"


  • Chaim Yosef - Exterior Image , n.d. "This building once housed Congregation Chaim Yosef of Calais. Unfortunately the temple is no longer (2007) active."
  • Chaim Yosef Memorial Board in Beth Israel (Bangor) , n.d. "The memorial plaque from Congregration Chaim Yosef in Calais now hangs in Bangor's Congregation Beth Israel"
  • Chain Apparel Shops , n.d. "The Chain Apparel Shops, located in Madawaska were owned by Irving Broder, who also owned several stores in Bangor"
  • Etz Chaim Synagogue (Portland) - Exterior View Before Restoration , n.d. "Congregation Etz Chaim was one of Portland's major Orthodox synagogues, founded in 1921. Membership dwindled during the last half of the 20th century, and the building was finally closed. Thanks to funds bequeathed for the purpose of refurnbishing it, Et
  • Finks Bros Shoe Store : exterior of building , n.d. "After purchasing a suit for a song, a man could complete his outfit with a pair of shoes at the nearby Finks Brothers Shoe Store on Middle Street "


  • Holocaust Memorial at Temple Beth El , 2000 c pg 125 "Holocaust survivors Jerry and Rochelle Slivka donated this memorial plaque to Portland's Temple Beth El, where it is displayed on the grounds. It is the only Holocaust memorial plaque in Maine"
  • Hub Furniture Co building : exterior view , n.d. "The original Hub Furniture store, founded in 1913, was located on Congress St and has always been in the Novick family"
  • Joe Lifshitz and Shep Lee in front of Advance Auto Sales , n.d. "Joe Lifshitz and his son, Shep Lee, stand in front of Advance Auto Sales, founded in the late 1930s in Lewiston"
  • Judy Venner Halpert's maternal grandfather (Schulman)’s family tree , n.d. "Judy Venner Halpert made this family tree of her maternal grandfather's family, the Schulmann's"
  • Ku Klux Klan march , n.d.


  • Maurice Charlie Miller and Children at the Pine Tree Camp , n.d. "Maurice Charles Miller, a well known Maine guide and former boxer, helps train youngsters at the Pine Tree Camp for Crippled Children in Rome, Me"
  • S Cohen Fruit & Produce , n.d.
  • Stephen Halpert and Robert Teague Discussing NAACP Strategy , n.d. "Stephen Halpert, the first Jew to serve as president of the Portland Chapter of the NAACP, discusses strategy with Robert Teague, his predecessor"
  • Constitution of the Portland Society for Promoting Christianity Among Jews with An Address to the Christian Public and a Collection of Interesting Facts Relative to the Conversion of the Jews : cover page , 1823 pg 64 "The title page from an 1823 pamphlet distributed by a Portland organization urged the proselytizing of Jews in Portland although few, if any, Jews could be found in the city"
  • Statistics of the Jews of the US 1875-1876 - cover page , 1876


  • Corner Stone Laid at the Jewish Synagogue on Center Street , Aug 23, 1897
  • Former Beth Israel Synagogue in Bangor , 1897 "Bangor's first synagogue, Beth Israel, was completed in 1897. This drawing by Victor Hodgins appeared in the Bangor Daily Commercial
  • Harry, Anna, and Myer Marcus - early 1920s , 1920s ". . . Harry, Anna, and Myer Marcus pose for this picture in the early 1920s. Myer Marcus, at age 92, is now (2007) the oldest practicing attorney in Maine. …"
  • Kornetsky, Rosenberg and Tabachnick families in the early 20th century , circa 1923 "Members of the Kornetsky, Rosenberg and Tabachnick families of Portland sit for this picture during the early years if the 20th century"
  • Regal Kosher Restaurant & Delicatessen : exterior of building , 1924 "Portland's Regal Kosher Restaurant and Delicatessen was located at 181 Middle Street in 1924"


  • S Zulofsky Bakery : exterior of building , 1924 "Jews in Portland shopped at Zulofsky's Kosher Bakery at 22 Hampshire Street, one of several kosher bakeries"
  • Inter-Racial Fellowship of America, Portland, letterhead , 1930 circa "Founded in Portland in 1930, the Inter-Racial Fellowship of America, established to promote 'justice, amity, and understanding' among races and religions, feature many prominent Portland Jewish names on this masthead. The Honorable Max Pinansky, Rabbi A
  • Beth Abraham (Bangor) I , 1933 "Old rebuilt Congregration Beth Abraham in 1933"
  • Beth Abraham synagogue , 1933
  • Beth Abraham Synagogue, dedication , 1933


  • Camp Modin Boys group , 1939 "Camp Modin was established in 1922 in the Belgrade Lakes district. It is the oldest Jewish camp in New England. "
  • Camp Modin Boys and Counselor with Kipot , 1939 pg 88 "Camp Modin has always had a small group of traditional Jewish campers. This 1939 photograph shows Orthodox young boys in their suits and yarmulkes"
  • Orthodox Boys at Camp Modin , 1939 "Camp Modin always had a small group of traditional campers. This 1939 photograph show Orthodox young boys in their suits and yarmulkes"
  • Bangor Hebrew School Medal Winners , 1947 "These students won medals in 1947 for excelling in their studies at Bangor Hebrew School"
  • Beth Jacob Confirmation Class Group Photo with the Rabbi , 1955


  • Graduating tots , 1968
  • Beth Abraham (Bangor) II , 1983 "A renovated Beth Abraham fifty years later"
  • Beth Abraham synagogue , 1983
  • Portland Shaarey Tphiloh Noyes St - exterior view , 2007 "Congregation Shaarey Tphiloh was built on Noyes St in 1958 to accommodate its members' move to the newer neighbors of Portland "
  • Abraham Peck, " As Jewish Maine Goes, So Goes American Jewry : Perspectives on the American Jewish Experience" , paper presented at the Bates College Forum on Maine Jewish History, October 2009 , Oct 2009

  • Page Displayed : / Monday September 25, 2017