Cutler's in Old Town - circa 1900

thanks to Beth Hillson for locating the images

Cutler's
North Main Street, Old Town Maine

"Cutler�s clothing store has expanded greatly during its 70 years, but it still occupies the site of its original location. The business was established in 1895 by Edwin Cutler, in a small building which had been occupied by Mrs. A. P. Bickmore as a hat store. After Edwin Cutler�s death, his sons, Samuel and Alexander took over management of the business.

In 1940, an addition to the men�s store was built taking in the space formerly occupied by Arthur Miller, then by Frank Harris, as a barber shop.

The second expansion was in 1961, when an addition was built on the rear of the building, to provide much �needed display room.

In 1948, the adjoining women�s store, which had been established in 1914 by Israel R. Cutler , was purchased by his brothers, Samuel and Alexander. An opening was cut in the wall between the stores joining them into one complete family clothing store.

Cutler�s has witnessed many changes in fashions in the last 70 years, from copper-toed shoes, and high-buttoned shoes for children and ladies to today�s wide range of work, dress, and sport styles; from men�s suits, piled high on tables, to modern display racks. Times have changed since a good wool worsted suit cost $10, and the highest priced shoes for men were $1.25 and a day�s pay was 70 cents, plus, as a bonus, all the wood a man could carry home under one arm.

But Cutler�s has kept pace and, despite its venerable age, is as up-to-date as the latest styles. ""
125th Birthday celebration for the city of Old Town (1965).

Last Updated : March 10, 2009

Page Displayed : / Saturday October 19, 2019