H M Goldsmith store in Old Town - 1965 c

thanks to Beth Hillson for locating the images

H.M. Goldsmith, Inc.
76-78 North Main Street, Old Town Maine

" The H.M. Goldsmith Women�s and Children�s Store was established in May 1915. Harry M. Goldsmith started his business in a small upstairs shop located in the Bradbury Block. After three years in this location, Mr. Goldsmith conceived the idea of replacing two small windows facing Center Street with one large plateglass show window. Eventually every business establishment occupying the entire second floor installed similar windows. During these three years Mr. Goldsmith employed one clerk.

In 1918, Mr. Goldsmith moved the business to a Main Street ground floor location, formerly occupied by Wilbur Gray�s Market. (This location is now occupied by the Old Town Furniture Company.) While there, he expanded the store by taking over upstairs offices as they were vacated by former occupants. While in this location he hired four clerks. One clerk, Mrs. Georgiana Nadeau has been in his employ nearly all the 32 years in this location; and she is still employed, on a part-time basis since her retirement.

With the steady growth of his business, Mr. Goldsmith�s one ambition was eventually to find a location large enough to have all departments on one ground floor, with ample street floor show windows. In 1950 this opportunity arrived, when Mr. Goldsmith leased the property at his present location, which had formerly been two stores. After intensive demolishing and rebuilding the ground floor property into one store with 40 feet of show windows, Mr. Goldsmith was able to open at the new location just in time for the 1950 Christmas season.

Harvey Hillson became associated with the business in 1948 and has been manager since 1961.

This year of Old Town�s 125th birthday also marks the 50th birthday of the H.M. Goldsmith store."


125th Birthday celebration for the city of Old Town (1965).

Last Updated : March 10, 2009

Page Displayed : / Friday April 03, 2020