Post a comment

Leave a comment below or email dmj@mindspring.com with corrections.

Four Boys Outside Temple Israel (Rumford) 1898 - 1950

Instagram - MaineJewishHistory

View this post on Instagram

The earliest reference to a Jewish house of worship in Rumford dates back to 1898 to the Temple Israel Congregation. At its peak in the 1920s, the Rumford Jewish community probably numbered no more than 30 families. But by 1952, the Temple Israel Congregation included only 5 Jewish families with children, for a grand total of 9 youths. While the temple never had regular Shabbat services, the congregation was always able to afford a rabbi for High Holy Day services. But by the mid 1950s even that had become beyond their modest means, and from then until the late 1960s when they were forced to close, the high holiday services were conducted by the few remaining congregants. In 1969, only a couple Jewish families remained and they were forced to sell their building. The proceeds were donated to the Jewish Home for the Aged (now Cedars) in Portland. Photo: Boys in front of Temple Israel in Rumford. #rumfordmaine #jewishhomefortheaged #highholidays #jewishhistory #jewishmaine #jewsinmaine

A post shared by Documenting Maine Jewry (@mainejewishhistory) on

thanks to DMJ for the video


Links to similar items: tags